1. The Fires of Bride features romance, lesbians, and Christ’s twin sister. April Sinclair’s got a coming of age story featuring 1970s Chicago, a black bi woman, and politics in Ain’t Gonna Be the Same Fool Twice.
2. Help a friend break their cycle of drama with How to Be an Adult in Relationships: The Five Keys to Mindful Loving…. just be prepared to not hear from them for a while. 😉 Hell’s belles, maybe give them a copy of Unmarried to Each Other: The Essential Guide to Living Together as an Unmarried Couple while you’re at it.
3. Stuff from Etsy! Dolly Ossuary works with boooooones. Do Bats Eat Cats? is a fab gothic/victoriana etsy shop with chainmail jewelry! This pop out jewelry by Melissa Borrell allows you to layer pieces, design your own earrings, or convert a bookmark into an AWESOME between the pec necklace. Rhonda of “Life is Delicious” has some skirts that are flirty and fun, and fit a variety of body types. Plus, this etsy store has some seriously creepy holiday cards.
4. How about something for the political foodie? Sistah Vegan: Food, Identity, Health, and Society: Black Female Vegans Speak and Manifestos on the Future of Food and Seed both talk about the politics of food and foodways, while Vibration Cooking: or, The Travel Notes of a Geechee Girl talks about soul food and life.
5. Wanna help them historicize their SF/F collection?
6. Hmmm, let me think about this… Afrekete: An Anthology of Black Lesbian Writing? How about a hell yes?
9. The Dirty Girls Social Club: A Novel would be great for someone who liked Sex and the City but wished it was a little more awesome.
10. You Need A Budget (YNAB) is pretty amazing — and so easy that even a humanities grad student can use it.
11. The Twelve Kingdoms Complete Collection is a lovely anime series, widely recommended last year and well worth the money.
12. A subscription to Icarus, the gay spec fic magazine. I got this as a birthday gift for a friend, and got awesome cool points forever.
13. Let me see… Savvy, The True Meaning of Smekday, Bel Ria: Dog of War all look like interesting kid’s gifts… and Kim Oh 1: Real Dangerous Girl is pretty fabulous. I’m reading it now, actually and really loving it.
14. The mini-gamer? Witch Girls!
15. What about that diva who loves NOT having kids of her own — you know, that Professional Aunt/No Kids? How about a copy of Savvy Auntie: The Ultimate Guide for Cool Aunts, Great-Aunts, Godmothers, and All Women Who Love Kids?
16. Pink Boots and a Machete: My Journey From NFL Cheerleader to National Geographic Explorer— for the female explorer in your neck of the woods!
17. Really, anything off this list of formidable female SF/F heroines would probably work.
18. Really looking forward to reading Pink Noises: Women on Electronic Music and Sound by Tara Rodgers
19. Persistence: All Ways Butch and Femme looks pretty exciting as well.
22. Or something a bit more adult… if you know what I mean! Good Vibes has Tight Places: A Drop of Color, which features a POC cast, some hot sexin’, and has women who look believably aroused. Nic Buxom is also having a massive sale.
23. A THING FOR THE KITTIES TO ATTACK
24. The best book for new parents EVER. Wait, no, I mean:The Daddy Shift: How Stay-at-Home Dads, Breadwinning Moms, and Shared Parenting Are Transforming the American Family. And maybe The Other F Word.
25. Pop music reimagined rearranged into classical.
26. Something reminding your buddy what zhe looks like. 😉
27. This is kind of a splurge-y gift, buuuuut… if you’ve got a bestie who might need some consistant reminders of awesome (on, say, a monthly basis), fairivy might be just the thing. Basically, they’re cute little care packages with small handcrafted items delivered to your bestie once a month by mail. They come in fun, fair, fur, and fred.
28. Make some WOW bling.
29. The Psychology of Dexter.
30. A la Carte by Tanita Davis.
31. The Story of Beautiful Girl sounds like it might be sad but lovely.
32. I cannot recommendRacing the Dark more highly. I love love love the world it’s set in.
33. Kamikaze Girls is an incredible, playful story of friendship.
34. For the friend that needs to CALM THE SHIT DONE: a to-do pad.
36. Smell goods…
37. A kids’ book inspired by David Bowie!
38. A copy of Discarded Dreams, which deals with both immigrant experiences AND SF.
39. Kandilla!!!! Bilingual epic calligraphy FTW!
40. How about a lovely story calendar?
41. Here’s a mug celebrating fanfic. Hip hip!
42. Here’s some pin up merman? Which is cool?
43. Top 100 nonfiction books!
44. Something cute and sexy from Nic Buxom!
45. Afrodite Superstar. You know what I’m talking about.
46. A good book on the sexiest basics.
47. Chulito a queer coming of age story featuring a POC.
48. JESUS CHRIST, I am OBSESSED with these skin and hair care products. Luxe to the max — when I saw the woman behind Angelic Artistry at a recent ATL convention, I literally brought all my friends over to smell her wares AND spent 4o dollars without blinking or regretting a second of it. I SMELL AMAZING (and am also broke and happy).
49. Something from the fandom mall!
50. Small Beer Pres’s ebooks include Delia Sherman’s new FREEDOM MAZE, Kathe Koja’s sexy UNDER THE POPPY, Geoff Ryman, Maureen McHugh & more of the people who make us hold our heads up high! Go support indie press and get the best prezzies ever! <– total signal boost of LOVE.