You can’t be a woman and a leader

Since the 1980’s, we’ve been seeing a lot of female characters start competing with men for jobs, promotions and acclaim. Sounds like real life… until you notice that that a woman character capable of being in charge always suffers one of two fates: either she never gets put in charge, or she’s put in charge […]

Equal means One-Up

Maybe part of the problem is that the concept of equality is lost on male filmmakers. Linguist Deborah Tannen says that, generally speaking, women and men express themselves in different ways, with different end goals for their communication. (Yes, it’s a generalization, but I’ll explain shortly why this doesn’t matter.) According to Tannen, women prefer […]

Forbidden, skanky luv – please explain the appeal

Over the years, in chats with people I know, I’ve pointed out more than a few TV shows where the leads fall in love and act on it while they’re still attached to other people, or they have obligations they’re sworn to uphold that prevent them from having a social relationship. I call it skanky, […]

Proppin’ up the Menfolk

You’ve seen her before. She’s hot. She’s successful. She’s smart. Her personality is pretty much dishwater. And she’s usually in the background while the guys discuss what’s really going on. But sometimes, she gets a closeup – usually kind of muzzed. It’s of her getting a special gleam in her eye when she looks at […]

Oh, I KNOW what you meant, you little…

I finally got a copy of Deborah Tannen’s You Just Don’t Understand: Women and Men in Conversation about how men and women generally express themselves in two very different ways, but interpret each other’s responses in terms of their own way. It’s like cross-cultural communication. For example, if you come from a region where you’re […]

You can direct when he’s done

“I want to direct an episode! I actually asked at the beginning of season three, at the same time as Michael did [Shanks went on to direct Double Jeopardy] and for whatever reason [mimes her lack of penis with her wiggling finger]…I can’t say that. I’d be so fired…! I’m sure that my lack of […]