“Marry me!” TV/Film Myth #3 about Women

All women want to get married, and will eventually pressure their poor boyfriends about it. You’ve seen it before, right? Marisa Tomei’s character in My Cousin Vinny knows more about cars than any of the guys, and saves the day in the end. And yet her biggest struggle – the one she whines about throughout […]

“Must…Have…Baby!” TV/Film Myth #2 about Women

All women feel at least some urge to have babies at some point. I’d speculate that most people want to have kids at some point – men and women. And that’s even taking into account the vast numbers of people who probably really don’t want kids, but have been brainwashed into thinking they do, because… […]

“My Ideal Wedding…” TV/Film Myth #1 about Women

Myth: All little girls fantasize about their wedding days. How’s this for nuts? Even though I was never a big Friends fan, I felt let-down by an episode in which Monica had to pick up a wedding dress for her sister-in-law-to-be, and she, Rachel and Phoebe spent most of the rest of the episode parading […]

Weddings, Marriage and Babies – Oh My!

There are four five myths TV and film seem determined to push, and over the next few days, I’m going to take a light-hearted look at each of them in detail. And not necessarily in this order (being female, and therefore prone to change my mind on a whim): • All females have elaborate fantasies […]

Upcoming Joseph Campbell series

I’m currently researching for a series of articles on Joseph Campbell, and want to invite any of you who are interested to participate in some discussion in the forum. Campbell’s views have been taught like scripture in film schools and writing courses for some time now, and they center on the “journey of the hero”, […]

Obligatory Sex/Nudity scenes

This isn’t strictly a woman’s issue, but it definitely affects female actors more than male. It’s the dogmatically held belief in Hollywood that you have to put a sex/nudity scene in any movie not specifically intended for kids under 13. It can be between minor characters, even throwaways – doesn’t matter, so long as the […]