As the winter holidays loom ever closer, this seems like a good time to put the microscope on our culture and ask the question: are you finding yourself the object of any gender-based expectations this holiday seasons? For example:
- If you’re a woman, are you feeling like you’re expected to have a brand new dress none of your co-workers have ever seen for the upcoming office party? Or a special hairstyle?
- If you’re a woman, does family expect you to cook something for get-togethers?
- If you’re a man who does the bulk of the cooking in your household, have you noticed family asking your wife to make something for a party without even checking whether you’d like to make something? Or whether she’s halfway capable of scrambling an egg?
- Teenage girls, do you find you’re expected to watch the babies in the family while the grown-ups go shopping, while your male brothers/cousins are allowed to go off to do whatever they want?
- Women and girls, are you expected to do the dishes? Bonus points if it’s expected when you’re a guest.
- Men, do you feel pressured to watch sports with the other dudes, whether you love sports or hate ’em?
Share your gendered holiday annoyances in the comments.