Note: I wrote this mid-s2. I haven’t seen much of s3, but I understand the dynamic changed somewhat in s3.
The biggest thing I love about Grey’s Anatomy is the relationship between Christina Yang and Preston Burke. He’s her boss, but they’re equals in the relationship, something as refreshing as it is rare. So, in no particular order, here’s Scarlett’s guide on How To Have a Woman Sleeping With Her Boss Without Demeaning Her.
- Have her swear him to secrecy over their relationship. She’s seen what happens in these situation – the woman always gets treated as if she got those plum jobs through him, not because she’s brilliant at what she does – and she’s too far-sighted to have that happen to her. Bonus points for having him act like a petulant child and running to the boss to tell him anyway.
- Have her frankly disagree with some of his opinions, with such a casualness that the audience knows it’s her God-given right to frankly disagree with men.
- Have her call him on it when she thinks he’s made a bad judgement – both personally and professionally. Have him forced, through her reasoned-but-passionate tactics, to reevaluate his reasons for coming to that judgement.
- When they fight, have them both at times be portrayed as the unreasonable one, the wrong one. Have it neither a case of the woman deferring to the man, or the women being Perfect.
- Have her be upfront about what she wants – but when he denies a reasonable request, have her resort to all sorts of tactics (ranging from clever to ruthless) to get what she wants – in other words, don’t have her take ‘no’ as an answer to a reasonable request.
- Show him as insecure in the relationship.
- Show them doing mundane things, like whose turn it is to take out the garbage, and being in bed sleeping.
- Give her a life outside the relationship. Have her going out with friends.
For regular watchers of the show, did I miss anything?