Amy McCabe submitted this link for LoGI, but I think it deserves it own article and a call to action. You really should read the whole article, but the gist of the story is this: a radio personality who calls himself “Coop” was ranting about a Time Magazine cover of a woman breast-feeding her three year old. He said:
“What I blame is the husband-or should I say domestic partner since they’re in California. But I blame the man. He should keep better control of his woman and get his boy to grow some hair down there. If that wouldn’t fly. If that was my wife, they’d find her in a suitcase in my basement.”
In this short snippet, this creature advocates:
- Men controlling their female sex partners
- Shaping all your parenting decisions around your tremendous fear that your son will turn out gay.
- Men murdering women they can’t control
Coop’s boss, Aaron Hyland, did not immediately demonstrate an understanding of why these remarks were problematic, so the article I linked above urged people to email him. I did, and I was pretty cold. He already responded and said they’re reviewing the matter internally, and thanked me for taking the time to write.
I encourage you to write him as well, if you find Coop’s remarks unacceptable, so he can begin to assess just how many people feel that way. Since many of you are short on time or may not be sure what to say, I suggest something like this, and you’re welcome to cut and paste it:
I’m writing you regarding this article. http://ayellowgiraffe.blogspot.com/2012/05/violence-against-women-for-extended_11.html. Coop’s comments were absolutely unacceptable and appalling.
I really think that’s sufficient, though of course you should say whatever you want (I certainly did). The important thing is the number of emails they receive against Coop’s comments, not the exact content of them.
Email them to email@example.com. You can also phone or mail:
WPDH (845) 471-1500
2 Pendell Road, Poughkeepsie, NY 12602
VP / Market Manager: Aaron Hyland x150
One of the points
Hyland made in his response to the above-linked blogger was that Coop feels breast-feeding for that length of time is mental abuse. [Update: Hyland just wrote me, denying he ever said this. Mea culpa – someone did tell Amy McCabe this when she called the station, and I assumed it was Hyland, but don’t know who it actually was.] As y’all know, mental abuse is a subject I’m passionate about, and have bothered to educate myself on. The irony here is staggering, and frightening, because Coop is actually calling on men to abuse women and children, and someone at the radio station is excusing it by saying it was said to prevent mental abuse. Dear God.
A few relevant notes:
- No one really knows how long humans should breastfeed. Proper studies haven’t been done (and honestly, how would you go about doing them?). Even the Bible is silent. We humans really just have to guess about this, so no one can say that someone else is breastfeeding for too short or long a time. It’s a matter of opinion.
- The idea that this is mental abuse is entirely predicated on an unfounded assumption that breastfeeding kids of a certain age will derail their sexual development in some way.
- But we’ve also all heard how if a kid winds up in jail, it’s because Mama didn’t breastfeed him or breastfeed him long enough. Damn mothers.
Coop supports abuse. Abuse includes things like “controlling your woman” or terrorizing your sons every time you see them doing something not exceedingly butch. Coop is calling for men to abuse women and children. Rapists and domestic abusers will hear his words and believe he is their ally.
In addition to emailing Mr. Hyland, please spread the word about this. If you’re on social media, you can click one of the buttons at the top to share it. Please don’t repost this entire article word for word, but do feel free to repost chunks of it wherever people are listening.