Time for some feedback from you, dear readers. This time, it’s all about categories and tags.
Currently, we have 6 main categories (Movies, Television, Books, Gaming, Other Media, Discussion), each with several subcategories. This means we have several subcategories with the same name (such as “Horror/Thriller” under books, movies and television). It’s feeling pretty chaotic to me, and I’m thinking it would be better to have a system with just a few categories (and may use tags more for additional breakdown).
My question to you is: how do you navigate the site, and do you use categories or tags to do it, and do you have specific suggestions? Please give me your feedback in comments or by email, if you’re shy. Possible answers (just to get you thinking about how you do something you do instinctively) might include:
- I usually just browse the latest articles/comments I haven’t read and never use categories or tags.
- I usually use search to find a specific topic.
- I use categories and like the current system.
- I use categories, but I think you could have a simpler categorization system, such as [your idea here].
- I wish you’d make more use of tags for specific TV shows.
- I wish you’d make more use of tags for specific issues.
- [Something] is an accessibility issue. (I definitely want to hear about anything that affects visitors who are disabled or those coping with workplace firewalls or any other issue with accessing websites.)
As you have probably already guessed, it’s not possible to please everyone. But the more feedback I get, the better I can improve the site. We’re getting ready to release a new theme which I’m hoping will be awesome for everyone, and I figure we might as well make any other big changes at the same time.
Thanks in advance for your feedback! And just fyi, this post will disappear in a few weeks, with your comments (just because it’s not something anyone’s going to want to read in 20 years).